Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Why We Snack Wrong And How Easy It Can Be Fixed

I was getting a bit hungry and was thinking about making dinner,but it was a bit early for it so I figured, the perfect compromise would mean a snack.
This is where it got tricky.
I realized there were no pretzels, chips, sweets or other tiny edible friends around that could help me with the between meal munchies.
I then realized I was acting ridiculous.
There was a basket full of apples, at least a kilo of bananas and some grapefruit in the kitchen.
Why didn't I even consider including them in the "snack" category? In the end, you're not really hungry, it's that need to eat something and fruit could not only satisfy that urge, but also give me a vitamin boost. God knows we all need one.
And now we're incredibly lucky to get all the fresh fruit and vegetable back.

But I found it a sad reality that our mind never goes to fruit when we think about having a snack and always just jumps to the fat, salty or sweet stuff that isn't doing us any favors.
As some of you might remember from Twitter, I asked what you think of when I say "snack". Chips,crisps,biscuits,chocolate.
Fruit was nowhere to be seen in those Tweets.

I think it's important to switch things up a bit. I'm not saying to cut all fatty treats out of your diet, but try to replace some with fruit. We all get cravings and it's sadistic to suppress them at any and all times.It just makes you demotivated to eat healthy if you're going to deny yourself that little bit of fatty goodness forever. But keep it in that legendary 20/80 balance at least. Try to eat well 80% of the time and indulge in the rest of those 20%.

Our whole mindset is in "easy and filling food" mode, without realizing that there's easy food that doesn't need to fill you that much, because in the end, you're not looking for a full stomach, just for satisfaction of said munchies.
We all live a fast life, and it might be the reason why most opt for the more easily available snacks. You don't have to wash or peel chips, but those 30 extra seconds you put into a fast rinse or peel can save you a whole lotta headache later.
Besides,fruit fits very well into fast life. It doesn't need any preparing, just a couple of seconds of attention.

I remember being a kid and surviving on apples and nuts alone during late summer when I'd start playing outside in the morning and get back in the house in the evening.
So if an overly energized kid didn't feel they're fainting living off fruit, I'm sure it can't be that bad,can it?

I'll go eat some grapefruit now.

                                          You can also Follow on * Twitter * Facebook * Bloglovin *  


  1. Thanks for the reminder to eat healthy! It's a constant battle for me as well. Every time I go to a friends/ family get together I am always offered sweets and feel bad saying no haha.

    New follower :)


    1. Yay! Welcome to my cuddly readership! So glad to have you!
      Oh tell me about the "visit" snacks! It's a constant "i shouldn't...oh but i musn't...too late" xxx

  2. Da, ai dreptate. Nu prea ne gandim la fructe cand zicem "gustare" :))
    O sa incerc si eu sa evit covrigeii si alte prostioare sarate :)

    1. Dupa ce te obisnuiesti sa nu mai bagi corigei si chipsuri in tine si te obisnuiesti cu alimente mai curate, parca deja nici nu mai vrei sa mananci chestiile alea

  3. My mum always used to say 'if you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not hungry' - it's a good motto to live by! x

    The perks of being a hipster

    1. That is probably the best quote I've heard today and she is absolutely right!

  4. Great post! Funny how our mind tries to play tricks on us :)
    Enjoy the grapefruit!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...